As a Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident, you definitely contribute to CPF once you begin working and when you reach retirement age you will receive the payout until you pass away. But what happens if you pass away before you spend all of your CPF monies? Do you know that CPF doesn’t fall under your personal estate nor can’t be distributed through a will? This is why you have to make a CPF nomination. CPF nomination is an act to state who will receive your CPF funds upon your death and how much they will receive. CPF nomination is very important as you can decide who will get your CPF monies when you pass away but if you don’t make CPF nomination, your CPF monies will be transferred to Public Trustee’s Office (PTO) and distributed according to the Intestate Succession Act or the Inheritance Certificate for Muslims.
- You have to be at least 16 years old and are of sound mind (mentally healthy) to make a CPF nomination
- In the case of bankruptcy, your CPF monies are protected from claims by creditors and your nominee(s) will receive all of your CPF funds
- You can nominate any person or organization as your CPF nominee regardless of their nationality
- You can nominate up to 8 people as your CPF nominees for your CPF nomination via CPF online service
- The nomination covers CPF savings in your ordinary account, special account, medisave account, retirement account, unused CPF life premiums and discounted SingTel shares
- The nomination will not cover properties bought using CPF funds, payout from Dependants’ Protection Scheme (DPS) and investments made under CPF Investment Scheme
- Upon marriage, any existing CPF nomination will be revoked so you need to make new CPF nomination
- You can make changes to your CPF nomination. Also you need to swap or exchange your nominees when they pass away.
There are 3 types of CPF nominations:
- Cash nomination Your nominee(s) will receive your CPF funds in their bank account via GIRO or cheque
- Enhanced Nomination Scheme (ENS) Your nominee(s) will receive your CPF funds into their CPF accounts
- Special Needs Savings Scheme nomination (SNSS) If your children are in special needs this allows them to be your nominee(s) and receive your CPF funds on monthly basis
Before you make a CPF nomination you need to prepare your SingPass details, your nominee’s NRIC details and your witnesses’ NRIC details (you need 2 witnesses who are at least 21 years old and mentally healthy).There are 2 ways to make CPF nomination:
- Via CPF online service To complete the online form you will need your Singpass, your nominee(s)' name, NRIC number & contact information and both witnesses' name, NRIC number & contact information
- At the CPF service center You need to book an appointment one day before visiting the CPF service center and bring your identification card/passport and photocopies of your nominee(s)’ identification documents.