How To Reschedule a Job Interview? With Template & Example
After a long wait to get a response from the jobs you have applied for, you finally got the job invitation email and could not wait to ace the interview. You confirm that job interview email right away but unexpectedly, a few days before the interview you get sick or have urgent matters so you have to cancel the interview and ask for a reschedule.
Now you’re worried you might lose the opportunity. Don't worry about it! Things happen and the best thing you should do is to apologize to the interviewer/recruiter first then ask for an interview reschedule.
- Let the interviewer know early You need to tell the interviewer or recruiter as early as possible. The worst thing you can do is to let the interviewer know a few hours before the interview starts unless you’re stuck in a storm or in a car accident. Let the interviewer/recruiter know that you can’t attend the interview at least 3 days before the interview date.
- Offer your apology Recruiters or hiring managers spend their time to screen candidates’ resumes and email them one by one to invite for the interview. So apologize for cancelling the interview and asking for a reschedule because they have to spare their time and adjust their schedule too. Show that you’re truly sorry for cancelling the interview.
- Show your enthusiasm Other than saying sorry for cancelling and rescheduling, you need to show that you’re really excited about the job interview. That way recruiters or hiring managers would not think you don’t care much about the job.
- Say thank you Even though you want to cancel and reschedule a job interview you still have to thank them for inviting you to a job interview. It shows that you appreciate them and the opportunity.
- Suggest an alternative time After thanking them and apologizing for the inconvenience, tell the recruiters or hiring managers when you will be available for the interview. Therefore they can find time in their schedule and fit you into it.
Dear (recruiter’s name),
Thank you so much for inviting me to the job interview. I apologize that I have to cancel the interview due to (your reason) and can’t attend the interview. Is it possible to reschedule the interview? I would like to reschedule for the interview and I will be available on (date and time). I’m happy to discuss other dates and times that would be convenient for you.
Please let me know and thank you for your consideration. I’m very interested in this opportunity and look forward to speaking with you.
- How To Ace a Job Interview
- Questions You Should Not Ask in an Interview
- How To Follow Up After Interview
Having an example reschedule a job interview by email is important for you to be prepared if something unexpected happens after you receive interview schedule. Although we might not want it, we need to be prepared so that we don’t lose the opportunity for a better career in the future.
If an emergency thing happens after you have been scheduled to the interview process, you should inform the company about your real condition and try to move the interview date. The condition might be less of ideal but setting a new date or time will help you to keep the job opportunity.
There are a number of understandable reasons that still can be tolerated by companies. Hence, companies commonly will give you the opportunity to reschedule an interview. That is why you need to mention this reason in the email you send to the company asking for interview rescheduling.
1. Example Reschedule a Job Interview Because Sick or injured
The company mostly are willing to reschedule the interview for health reasons because it your main priority. This is an example of inserting the reasons in your email.
Thank you for inviting me to the interview session and learning more about becoming a graphic designer at your company. However, I am really sorry to inform you that my leg got injured on Wednesday and the doctor suggested I take a rest for three days.
Would it be possible to reschedule the interview? I would be able on Monday and will be pleased to talk about other dates too. I apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to further information.
2. Example Reschedule a Job Interview Because Family emergency
Occasionally, the reason for interview rescheduling is not coming from yours but your loved one. It is tolerable because you have parents, spouses, children, and other family members that need your help. Here is an example of rescheduling a job interview by email with a family emergency reason.
Thank you for informing me about the interview schedule. Unfortunately, I can’t make the appointment because my brother-in-law past away yesterday. Could we reschedule for a new date? I am looking forward to hearing from you soon if there is a possibility of rescheduling the date of the interview. Please accept my sincerest apologies due to this sudden inconvenience.
3. Example Reschedule a Job Interview Because Work commitment
Sometimes people find a new job when they still become employees in their current companies. Hence, they can work as soon as possible later when they leave the company. If you are still an employee and are invited for an interview session, this can be a problem when you are still in duty.
It can be difficult because you still need to maintain a good relationship with your current employer but also takes an opportunity at the same time. You can mention:
Thank you for the interview invitation. However, I have an arranged business meeting on the interview date with my current company so I cannot attend the interview session. Is there any possibility to reschedule the interview? I will be pleased to hear the information if it is possible.
Look for example reschedule a job interview by email and personalize it with your reason personal reason to taking the job opportunity.
Sometimes unexpected things happen and you have to reschedule a job interview. We all understand that cancelling and rescheduling might affect our chance of getting the job, but recruiters or hiring managers are human too. They will understand if your reasons to reschedule a job interview are urgent matters such as you’re sick, injured from an accident or family emergency. Also the best way, if possible, is to call the recruiters or hiring managers when you want to cancel and reschedule.
Find Best Jobs in Singapore